If you are interested in career advancement you must become a team player who can make things happen for yourself, the team, and the company. Your vision for yourself must be unwavering in your rise to a leadership/management level. Here are 9 tips to help you become an effective leader and advance in your career:
Sometimes during the workday you just need a mental break to recharge your battery. While most offices have a company breakroom or cafeteria that you can go during lunch hour or whenever the need arises, some people prefer to leave the building and go for a walk, or go run some errands. Well in these 5 offices, you may never want to leave the building since their breakrooms are probably cooler than anything you’ll find outside of the building! Check out 5 of the coolest company breakrooms from Businessweek.com below…
Employee Club House
Called the High Street Retreat, this employee “club house” was created at Principal Financial Group in Des Moines. They did a survey of their employees and found that most felt the office was “too uptight”, so they made it their goal to create some fun in the workplace. They created this “club house” that consists of pinball, foosball, air hockey, arcade games, books, vending machines, and whiteboards.
Think about your office for a second. I’m willing to bet that there is quite the variety of people working under that one roof. Having different personality types in the office is what makes a company dynamic… if everyone was the same, your company might not be as successful. It is important to understand the different personality types in your office, and also learn how to work effectively with each of them…since some personality types can mesh better than others. Learning to work effectively with the different personality types will make your work experience easier and help you achieve professional growth.
Here are the basic different personality types in the workplace and how to work effectively with each:
Good communication is fundamental to success in the workplace and long term professional growth. It does not matter if you are talking to your fellow employees, your employer or clients, the inability to communicate well can hinder your professional growth. On the flip side, good communication skills will help you excel at your job and advance your career. With that in mind here are 4 steps that can help you to improve your communication skills.
Before you completely make the transition over to iced-coffee, or if you’re a hot-coffee drinker all year round… you should try out this delicious Caramel Mocha Latte recipe using your Keurig brewer!
When you work in an office, you’re obviously not the only person in that office. You can’t work in a bubble, things are inevitably going to happen around you that might distract you from your work. To aid your sense of focus and professional growth, we’ve put together this list of the most common work-related distractions, and tips on how you can avoid them. Some of these observations are simple and seemingly unavoidable, but there are various smart solutions you can adopt to protect your concentration at work.
Climbing the ladder to success through a job promotion is a normal progression for an employee in the workforce today. Especially for someone who loves the company they work for, but is looking to advance their career. Getting a promotion at your current company is a great way to advance your career without having to start over at a new company. But, how do you go about getting a promotion at your company? Here are some tips to keep you ahead of the game at work that will impress your boss and help towards getting you promoted:
Favorites Lists are a great tool for saving time and reducing your company’s spend on office products. Favorites Lists can help point users into best value, low cost, items. They also can simplify the search process to find items faster. Favorites lists can be shared with specific or all users. Here are 5 ideas for really helpful Favorites Lists you can create:
- Best value items. Create a list of frequently purchased items. Review purchase history for items and substitute items with best value alternatives where possible. Share the list with all users to help point them to best value items.
- Printer Supplies. Create lists for ordering paper, toner, and other supplies for office printers. You can assign easy to remember names such as “Marketing Printer”.
- New employees. Include items for new hires to make sure they have everything they need to hit the road running on day 1 – pens, stapler, notepad, desk chair, computer monitor, etc.
- Restrooms. Some facilities have towel, tissue, soap, and air freshener dispensers requiring specific refills.
- Breakroom. Include coffee and beverages, cups, plates, and cutlery. Avoid forgetting to order the decaf or somebody’s favorite flavor.
These are just a few ideas to help save time and expense. If you want to begin using favorites lists, be sure to check out our step-by-step guide “Building Shared Favorites Lists”.
NEOS can also help to review purchases and build larger lists if you need them. If you’d like to get help, you can request to speak with a NEOS Expert.
In honor of April being “Green” month, we thought we’d put together a list of the Top 10 Eco-friendly Office Products that we sell. These are favorites around our office and with our customers as well. They are all very good quality products and very eco-friendly. Consider these as “green” options to some of the products you may already be buying.
- Pilot B2P pen – Made from recycled water bottles.
- Post-it Greener Notes – The “green” version of the classic Post-it Note that we all love.
- NEOS Toilet Tissue – Both of the NEOS standard toilet tissue is manufactured by Cascades, one of the greenest manufacturers of paper products in North America.
- Tombow correction tape – Now the greenest of all correction tapes.
- Cardinal Eco Smart Binders – High recycled content, right down to the rings.
- Domtar Earth Choice Paper – An awesome story on managing the carbon footprint.
- Eco Products – Any of their products would qualify but we especially like the Plant starch cutlery… great quality too!
- Havells spiral white energy saver light bulbs
- Elite Image remanufactured cartridges – It goes without saying the tons of really bad stuff that goes into landfills with laser cartridges. By using and then returning for remanufacturing Elite is, well just that!
- Blue Recycling Bin – Everyone should have one.
Check out the Green page on our website for tons more eco-friendly products!