I was talking to one of my friends the other day and she was having a hard time thinking of what to get her boss for Christmas this year. Everyone’s been there… the moment of truth when you need to figure out what to give your boss for Christmas. You want it to be something great – but not over the top; something that shows you care – but doesn’t look like you’re trying too hard to impress; something thoughtful – but not too personal… so many things to consider! While all bosses are different and a gift that works for your friend’s boss might not necessarily work for yours, we’ve come up with 6 helpful guidelines that could make the holiday gift-giving process a little easier for you this year.
- Consider going in on a group gift with your co-workers. This will give you other people to bounce gift ideas off of. And it could allow for more gift options since you’ll have a slightly higher budget with contributions from multiple people instead of just your own.
- Think about any well-known hobbies or interests your boss has. You should stay away from getting anything too personal, but if it’s a widely known fact around the office that your boss likes to golf, then you’re on to something!
- Never give cash as a gift. A gift card is totally acceptable, but stay away from giving cash to your boss as a gift.
- Don’t try too hard to impress. Stick to a modest budget when getting a gift for your boss. Simple and sincere says a lot more than flashy and expensive.
- Go with your gut! You can ask friends, family members, etc. for advice on what gift to get your boss… but YOU spend 40 hours or more a week with him/her, so trust your own judgment! If you think he/she would like a certain gift, you’re probably right!
- If you’re torn about whether to give a gift at all, think about what’s the “norm” at your company. Depending on what type of company you work for it may or may not be commonplace to give gifts around the holidays. Do some investigating and also consider your company’s culture/values if you’re having trouble deciding if giving your boss a gift would be appropriate or not.
Do you have any holiday gift giving advice for the workplace? Comment below!